Using only the natural colours from the raw materials in this soapy spa bar has resulted in a warm, apricot coloured soap, scented with pure essential oils, and a nice, diagonal stripe of Scrub Granules through the centre. This is one of my favourite ways of including an exfoliant in soap; I don't always want a very scrubby bar, so it has a light intermittent exfoliating action with the strip in the centre of the bar. *Note, we no longer stock Jojoba Scrub, please select your preferred scrub granules separately.
There are two options for the Scrub strip down the middle – either have a darker opaque strip, or use some clear soap – see the graphics for your choice. You only need extra clear soap in the trolley if you want a darker opaque strip. By using some of the opaque soap you'll have a creamier coloured strip.
This tutorial makes two batches of 6 soaps (so a total of 12 soaps) and you'll have some ingredients left over for another project.
What you need:
- 1kg Stephenson Crystal TBS (Triple Butter) MP Soap Base or you can subsitute SFIC Cocoa Butter or Palm Free Mango Butter
- 200g Stephenson Crystal SLS/SLES/ Free Base or similar
- 25ml Heavenly Essential Oil Blend
- 1 teaspoon Caramel Mediterranean Clay
- 5g (1 rounded teaspoon) Scrub Granules *Note, we no longer stock Jojoba Scrub, please select your preferred scrub granules separately.
- 5 - 10ml Sodium Lactate Plus
- Budget Wise Flex Mould – Square (Large Guest)
- 2 x 750ml microwave safe jugs
- Spatulas, spoons or stirring sticks
- Digital Scales - helpful but optional
- Spare tray or baking tray to place the moulds on
- Thermometer – helpful, though optional
- Pipette or dropper for essential oil or fragrance
- Isopropyl Alcohol & Spritz Bottle
- Clean Up Tool (or similar)
- Measure Sodium Lactate into the small beaker or glass and add the Caramel clay to this, stir to remove any dry spots.
- Dice the TBS Soap Base into cubes and place half (500g) into the Pyrex Jug and place in the microwave.
- Heat in short bursts until the soap is liquid. Take care not to overheat the soap.
- Once Liquid remove from the microwave and add sufficient clay to the soap until you reach a colour you are happy with.
- Now add 20g/ml Heavly Essential Oil Blend and stir well.
- Pour into the soap mould, spritz the surface with Isopropyl Alcohol to remove surface bubbles and allow to set.
- Once this has set fully, mark one corner of the mould (so you keep it at the front left) and remove the soaps, one by one, and then slice a piece diagonally from the centre about 2 - 4mm wide.
- Then carefully replace the two halves into the cavity they came froom and continue to divide the rest of the bars and replace back into the mould.
- Use a chopstick or spatula to keep the halves to the edges of the mould cavities.
- These are now ready for the jojoba scrub stripe.
- There are two ways to make the centre stripe - very dark (using clear base) or pastel (using TBS base).
- Dice approximately 200g of your chosen soap base and melt in the microwave.
- Once melted remove from microwave and add the some of the pre-hydrated clay mixture if you are using.
- Add 1 rounded teaspoon Jojoba Scrub Granules and mix well.
- Spray the "gap" of each soap with alcohol to ensure the soap stays stuck when unmoulded.
- Carefully pour each of the cavities and then allow to set up.
- You can see the soaps in the three left hand cavities have three different colour tones of scrub - the three on the right have no opaque soap base.
- I used some of the offcuts to make the left hand side lines a lighter colour shade.
- Once completely set up remove from the mould and clean up any over pour or soap that has seeped under the bars.
- Now wrap as usual
Note: Items in the trolley include TBS Base. Also SLS/SLES Free Clear Soap and Sodium Lactate are included, just delete these if not required. The Clean up Tool is not included in trolley items.
|Yields:||12 x 90g Bars (2 batches)|