This bright, fun soap project used the grown up and delicious Juicy Couture (Type) Fragrance. As this has now been discontinued, we recommend subsitituting Passionfruit & Lychee Sorbet Fragrance or Cranberry Fig.
I like to make my cylinder embeds ahead of the actual project day so they are ready to use. If you make these too far in advance keep them sealed in a ziplock bag as the best results are from embedding cylinders only 1 - 2 weeks old. The time given is using pre-made sets of cylinders ready to embed and does not include setting up time.
- 600g Palm Free Goatsmilk Melt and Pour Soap
- 510g Palm Free Crystal RC Melt and Pour Soap
- Pink Raspberry Mica
- Saturn Yellow Mica
- Seafoam Green Mica and Saturn Yellow Mica (or you could use just Grasshopper Green Mica on it's own)
- 15 – 25g/ml Passionfruit & Lychee Sorbet Fragrance
- 4 in 1 Cylinder Silicone Mould (as this has been discontinued, we suggest the Column Embed Mould- Round as a substitute)
- Small Slab Silicone Mould
Step 1 make the Embed Cylinders
- Dice the Palm Free Crystal RC Melt and Pour Soap and place 170g in the small jug.
- Place the jug in the microwave and melt the soap using short bursts until liquid, take care not to let it boil.
- Add ¼ to ½ teaspoon Yellow Mica and 2ml Fragrance into the jug and stir until there are no dry spots of mica.
- Pour into the cylinder mould (prop up the mould to ensure it doesn't fall over whilst setting up.
- Repeat this process until you have made all three colours - it will take around ½ - ¾ hour or so for the soap to set up, so it can save crafting time if you prepare the embeds ahead of time. For the green soap, I mixed a little Saturn Yellow with the Seafoam Green Mica.
Step 2 Assemble the slab with the embeds
- Cut the cylinders into short pieces so that they will protrude out of the soap, a little higher than the mould rim, cutting uneven sizes for more effect.
- Dice the Goatsmilk Soap and place into a large microwave safe jug in the microwave and melt the soap using short bursts until liquid, take care not to let it boil.
- Arrange the columns in the mould ready for the overpour.
- Add the fragrance to the melted soap and stir well to combine.
- Spritz the embed colums liberally with Isopropyl Alcohol (take care not to inhale the fumes which dissipate very quickly).
- Carefully pour the melted soap all around the columns, try not to pour over the top surface of the column embeds
- Give the soap a quick spritz with Isopropyl Alcohol to remove any surface bubbles.
- Once it is set up (a couple of hours) scrape away and tidy up the surface if required, I use a Clean Up Tool, but a paring knife works well too.
- After a few hours, remove the soap from the mould and take a small, thin knife and cut the soap slab into 6 rectangles.
- Wrap and store as usual.
Note: If using the "Add to Trolley" there are sufficient ingredients to make 12 soaps. The Trolley colourants includes Seafoam Green Mica.
|Palm Oil Free:||Yes|
|Yields:||12 chunky bars (2 batches)|
|Time:||45 mins (using pre-made embeds)|