Bath Melts are a blend of mainly butters, a little liquid oil and a little wax to form a solid product that is designed to melt in a warm to hot bath.
Bath Melts are the perfect gift - the giftee doesn’t need a big bath, a foot soak can be very relaxing in ‘shower only’ bathrooms! Bath Melts begin to melt just from physical contact with the skin, so the less handling the better. I like my Bath Melts to set up quickly, so you can use the refrigerator or freezer (but don’t let them freeze).
You can really have fun and get creative with the moulding for Bath Melts. Use everything from Soy Tart Melt Clamshells, guest soap moulds to making them in silicone chocolate type designs and then pack as you would other bath and body products. You will often see these Cocoa Butter rich products packaged in chocolate packaging for presentation, and they are also suitable to be decorated with dried petals and botanicals too.
I have made these in our Single Mini Daisy Flexible Moulds. It can be a fine line between a moisturising bath and an oil slick, and of course it's essential to take care when stepping in and out of the bath when you have any oil in the water.
This project is from our Natural Skin Care Using Nourishing Oils Book.
This makes approximately 230g, so if you set them up in the fridge, you'll need to gently re-warm the mixture for the subsequent pours.
- 20g White Beeswax Beads
- 100g Mango Butter, Premium
- 100g Cocoa Butter
- 10g Sweet Almond Oil (or your preferred liquid carrier oil)
- Up to 4g/ml Fragrance or Essential Oils - we used Blissed Out Essential Oil Blend (previously called Float Blend) in this batch
Spoon or spatula to stir
Board or baking tray
Small Pyrex or microwave safe jug
Thermometer not necessary but may be helpful
If using these moulds, place on a board to enable you to move them to the fridge or freezer
- Weigh the Beeswax and Cocoa Butter into the Pyrex jug and heat in the microwave until nearly all the wax is liquid - do not overheat or allow to boil.
- Remove and stir, then add the Almond Oil and Mango Butter and gently reheat until liquid again, but not too hot.
- Stir to combine and allow to cool a little (I pour mine at around 50 - 60°C - this is just when there is a film setting up on the walls of the jug.)
- Add the Essential Oil Blend just as the mixture begins to form the film - this is the coolest it can be which is best for the Essential Oils.
- If you are chilling in the refrigerator place the moulds on a small board or tray.
- Carefully pour into the moulds, transfer to the fridge or freezer and allow to set up.
- Unmould and store or package.
If using the trolley: only 3 moulds are included, you can edit the quantity in the View Trolley. No glitter is in trolley items.