This really is a simple conditioner to make, if you are a total novice, making this will give you the confidence to make more complex formulations. This is nice dispensed from a Pump Bottle, Stubby Bottle or even a Tottle tube. This uses the "one pot method", which is not a method recommended for more complex formulas, but you can use it with this formula, and even avoid a stick blender if need be!
200g is quite a small batch, so using a regular stick blender is not going to be feasible, you can use a mini mixer, small coffee frother (at a pinch) or a small balloon whisk and mix manually.
- 10g Conditioning Emulsifier 25 (5%)
- 182g Distilled Water (or Floral Water or Hydrosol) (91%)
- 4g Hydrolyzed Oats (2%)
- 1½ g (2 droppers) Preservative of choice (between 0.5 - 1%)
- Up to 2g/ml (1%) Essential Oils/Fragrance **Adjust this down as required and the water % up
Equipment you'll need:
1 Pyrex or microwave safe jug - 500ml size
Mini mixer or small balloon whisk - this must sit UNDER the surface of the mixture
Scales, spatulas etc
Note: Ensure you can sanitise all equipment - especially the whisk - it's best to have dedicated lotion making equipment.
Set aside the Hydrolyzed Oats
Combine the Phase A ingredients (Distilled water and Conditioning Emulsifier) in the jug and heat to 70 – 75°C - checking and stirring periodically
Manual stirring with a whisk is all that is required (You may like to give the mixture a quick whizz with the stick blender if making a large volume to ensure it is homogenous (well mixed and looking like creamy milk)
Remove from heat and hand stir periodically while it cools. DO NOT BEAT AND BEAT THIS MIXTURE! Whisk consistently to ensure the mixture remains creamy and homogenous. If using the stick blender, use quick short blasts to mix
Add Hydrolyzed Oats
When the mixture has cooled to 40°C, add the required percentage of preservative (0.5--1% for Phenoserve or Optiphen Plus or 0.3 - 0.5% Liquid Germall Plus), and also any Essential Oils or Fragrance
Mix well to combine and put into pump bottle, Tottle or Malibu Tubes. If you like to have a thicker consistency, you will need to do this whilst it is still warm.
- I like to use a mid sized Zip Lock bag to fill my containers, as it's less messy and keeps everything clean. Cut the bottle corner off and pipe into the bottles
- Label and seal bottles or tubes when completely cold
- We have included oh four bottles with pumps in the trolley items, but there is no essential oil or fragrance.
- To see our recommended suggestions to scent surfactant and hair products click HERE
|Yields:||200g (10 x 200g batches!!)|