I haven’t had my coffee grinder out for a while, and thought it was time to give it a run to make my version of that now famous exfoliating buffing bar. You know the one I mean, it’s quite well known, and very popular for light exfoliation of your rear and cellulite, and, it’s used in the shower! It is quite expensive to purchase but as a DIY much more economical, especially if you already have a soapy store cupboard.
All natural, no need for a preservative as it’s anhydrous, and scent it to your delight, perfect for gifts too, sooo easy to package as it’s a solid bar. To make a Vegan version, substitute 4 – 8g Rice Bran Wax instead of the Beeswax.
Heavy buffing or light buffing? The quantity of exfoliants can be varied, along with the pour temperature. You can see from our photo that one has exfoliants in the base, the other has them evenly distributed.
For heavier buffing: Allow the rice and beans to have a little texture, and pour at 35°C – some settling will occur, and you’ll have a dense layer and a thinner layer on top. Alternatively, bulk up the coarse granules in your mixture and pour at 30°C or just below.
For lighter buffing: Grind the rice and beans very finely, almost flour like. Pour at 27 to 30°C for even distribution of the finer textured exfoliants.
Note: Coconut Cream Fragrance is currently unavailable, so we have included Cashmere Silk Fragrance as a suitable substitute.
Exfoliants (all purchased from a Wholefoods Store – can be varied, but I like:
- 20 - 35g Ground Almond Meal
- 20 - 30g Ground Adzuki Beans
- 15g Ground Rice (fine)
Pyrex or microwave safe jug *you’ll need a pot mitt (and more time) if using pyrex
Stirring spoon and spatula
- Grind the rice and adzuki beans separately.
- Weigh all the ingredients – the exfoliants can be combined into one bowl once ground.
- Melt the Beeswax and Cocoa Butter Beads in the microwave until liquid – keep an eye on the jug and don’t let it overheat.
- Once melted add the Shea Butter and allow the inherent heat to melt it by gently stirring. If necessary you can zap it for 30 seconds or so just to raise the temperature a little.
- Stir and check the temperature – this is the part that needs patience! The temperature needs to have dropped to around 40°C before you add the exfoliant powders.
- Continue stirring intermittently and when the temperature reaches 35°C stir in the Fragrance and/or Essential Oil.
- Continue stirring intermittently until you reach your preferred pouring temperature (see guide above).
- Pour into the moulds, and then place the mould into the freezer immediately.
- Remove from freezer in 5 to 10 minutes and unmould immediately .
To use: Shower as usual, rinse off soap. Use the buffing bar on wet skin, whilst still in the shower on the areas you are targeting. You can use your hands to concentrate the exfoliants too. Rinse off the exfoliants, hop out, pat dry and you are done!
You'll find the exfoliants in your local wholefoods store; they are not included in the Trolley Items
|Palm Oil Free:||Yes|