I wanted to play with Argan Oil, with it's great reputation for all sorts of skin and hair care applications, and conditioners being such a favourite of mine to formulate, I combined Oliv Wax LQC, Oat Extract, Sodium Lactate Plus and Vitamin E. This is nice dispensed from a Pump Bottle or a Stubby Bottle with a flip lid as it's one of my lighter conditioner formulas. I scented it with Night Violet Fragrance which is not too floral but hits the spot with it's not too strong floral scent.
Equipment you'll need:
1 Pyrex or Microwave Safe jug - 1 litre size
1 Pyrex or microwave safe jug - 250 - 500ml size
Stick Blender or small electric balloon whisk - this must sit UNDER the surface of the mixture
Small hand whisk, spatulas etc
- 516g Distilled Water (86%)
- 30g Conditioning Emulsifier 25(5%)
- 5g Oliv-Wax LQC (0.9%)
- 10g Argan Oil, Organic (1.7%)
- 2g (2 droppers) Vitamin E (0.4%)
- 18g Hydrolyzed Oats (3%)
18g Organic Nettle Extract (3%)
18g Oat Extract (3%)
- 12g Sodium Lactate Plus (2%)
- 2.4g Liquid Germall Plus (0.4%) - I used Liquid Germall Plus, but you can also use Phenoserve (0.75%), or use Geogard Ultra (1.0%)
- Up to 4g Night Night Violet Fragrance or Essential Oils of choice (0.6%) – adjust to suit- add slowly and sniff as you go!
- XXL Tottle Tube and Stubby Shampoo Bottle.
- Prepare ingredients and work space so you have everything to hand.
- Measure the Distilled Water in a large (1 Litre) Pyrex or microwave safe jug.
- Heat in microwave to 75°C.
- Now place Phase B Ingredients into a smaller jug and heat in microwave to 70°C.
- Once removed from heat, check the water jug temperature has not dropped below 70°C and then combine Phase A (water phase) and Phase B (Oil Phase) and give a few blasts with the stick blender. Continue to mix intermittently.
- Use a stick blender held well down under the surface to ensure a smooth mixture without introducing any air into the emulsion. Pulse several times until you see the mixture come together.
- Mix periodically until the mixture cools to approximately 40°C.
- During cool down, give one or two zaps on the stick blender, and switch to a balloon whisk if necessary to ensure the mixture maintains a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Now add Hydrolyzed Oats/Oat Extract/Nettle Extract and combine well.
- Add the preservative (Liquid Germall Plus), and then the Essential Oils or fragrance.
- Allow to sit to cool completely before piping into the bottles - though you can of course test it immediately!
Label and seal bottles when completely cold
- The stabiliser in this formula use a liquid crystal system and over zealous stick blending will cause this to break down over time.
- If you want to increase moisturising properties further, increase the Hydrolyzed Oats and add some dl Panthenol, and decrease the water content accordingly.
- To see our recommended suggestions to scent surfactant and hair products, you can see them HERE
- If using Geogard Ultra you'll need hydrate and set aside, and also test the pH of the conditioner and adjust with citric acid until you achieve a pH of 4.5 - 5