We are frequently asked for information on how to make room sprays. The essential ingredient, apart from Fragrance or Essential Oil is Polysorbate or Solubliser. Roomsprays are quite fun to make, very easy and of course they make your house smell lovely.
You need the Polysorbate or CCG because you need to disperse (solublise) the Essential Oils and/or Fragrance into water. If you are going to keep this for any length of time do include 0.3% Liquid Germall Plus.
Regarding the amounts of Polysorbate, the rule of thumb is to use a 1:1 ratio. So, if you are using 5% fragrance, as I am, I need 5% solubliser. Some individual Fragrances or Essential Oils will vary slightly, as will the Polysorbate or CCG Solubliser, but this is usually sufficent for most blends.
- 270g Distilled Water
- 15g/ml Fragrance or Essential Oil Blend of choice
- 15g Polysorbate 20 or Polysorbate 80, or CCG Surfactant
- Mixing Jug and spoon/stirrer
- 3 x 100ml Blue Spritz Bottles or you could use larger 200ml size, Clear Boston Spritz Bottles
- It's easy!
- Place the mixing jug on the scales and tare the weight to zero
- Weigh in the water and the warm the water to around 40°C (I use the microwave)
- Then place the jug back on the scales and tare to zero, then add the Polysorbate or solubiliser, tare to zero, and then the fragrance
- Stir to combine - the mixture will usually look milky. If you have any lumpiness gently warm the entire mixture and then stir again
- Pour into the Spritz Bottles and label
Note: It is best to avoid spraying over surfaces and fabrics that may be effected by moisture or essential oils or fragrance droplets.