This formula is a little more complex than usual lip formulations are, and it is full of amazingly good, lip pampering ingredients. However, it’s not just about the natural aspect that appeals, it’s the science behind the natural ingredients such as Castorlene Gel, Abyssinian Oil (Crambisol®) and Butter Easy (Sunflower Cosmetic Wax) that make this an excellent formula. Using tandardised ingredients such as these, lifts your hand made products to a new level.
Big Tip! I found I set half my batch in the freezer (quickly cooling) and the other half on the bench top. The bench top batch turned outy a little grainy, and the freezer set balms were perfect once they returned to room temperature.
- 14g White Beeswax (7%)
- 14g Butter Easy (Sunflower Cosmetic Wax) (7%)
- 28g Fractionated Coconut Oil (14%)
- 44g Castorlene Gel (22%)
- 40g Sweet Almond Oil or similar (20%)
- 7.5g Abyssinian Oil, Extra (Crambisol®) (3.75%)
- 0.5g/ml Rosemary Oleoresin Extract (0.25%)
- 2g/ml Natural Vanilla Flavour & Sweet Lips Sweetener (1.00%)
- Your preferred Lip Pots
- Small to medium microwave safe jug or Pyrex jug
- Accurate scales, preferably digital
- Thermometer (useful but not essential)
Place Phase A ingredients into a 250ml Pyrex jug and heat in microwave until they are 85°C - take care not to overheat.
Remove from the microwave – A POT MITT IS ESSENTIAL - then carefully add the Mango and Shea Butters.
Stir slowly until the butters have melted and the mixture is homogenous.
The balm now requires intermittent stirring during cool down until it reaches 55 - 65°C (it will not be easily pourable if lower than 55°C).
Once the cool down has reached that point, add the Rosemary Oleoresin Extract (antioxidant) and then sweetener and flavour to taste.
Pour into pots or jars and place into the fridge or freezer to cool down quickly and avoid shea graininess (DO NOT LET THEM FREEZE!)
Once they have set up, remove from fridge or freezer and allow to return to room temperature completely before placing the lids on.
- If you don’t like a super-sweet lip product you may not want to add flavour or sweetener. However, I find that I prefer adding 0.5 – 1.0% (1 - 2g) to remove the waxy flavour. If you don’t want any flavour, just use the Lip Smacking Sweetener
- This is a soft, margarine or butter like consistency when set, if you want to have a firmer product, increase the beeswax and decrease the liquid oil content accordingly
- This formula makes a firm butter, not a hard lip balm for sticks, so in summer temperatures the butter will melt if left in a hot location
- This is an excellent formula to use a carrier of herbal extracts or as a salve base.
- You can swap infused liquid oils for the base oils in this formula
Note: There are no lip pots in the trolley items - you can select your preferred type of pot. The trolley items make 2 x 200g batches of lip butter.
|Yields:||2 x 200g batches|