This is a softer balm which l like whipped and fluffy as it contains a lot of Shea Butter. This is also a nice Belly Balm for pregnant tummies. You can tweak this to include some Rosehip Oil, Organic Hemp Seed Oil or Organic Camellia Oil if using this for a balm to help prevent stretch marks.
This is another light fluffy recipe which has the addition of Dry Flo or Dri Silc powder, which helps it feel less greasy on the skin. Whipped butters are great for winter, but if using in summer, store in a cool place like all non-emulsified formulas, or they will melt back to oil if left in a hot car!
This recipe is weighed in grams, so do use your scales to replicate it exactly. You can double the recipe if you want to make more, but it is best not to halve it because by reducing the size it will make it difficult to whip up. I have made the minimum batch size I am happy to use a single hand held electric beater in (I use one beater instead of two when mixing these small amounts). A stick blender is not suitable for these formulations.
Packaging can be anything you fancy, but don't go too large as a little goes a long way! Wide Neck Tubs, large or small Lip Pots, Mushroom Jars and small Double Wall Jars are all suitable.
- 100g Cocoa Butter
- 20g Calendula Infused Oil
- 30g Jojoba Oil, Golden
- 200g Organic Shea Butter
- 5g Vitamin E
- 1.5 – 5g favourite Essential Oil Blend or Fragrance, I made mine with Love Spell Artisan Fragrance
- 1g/ml (a dropper) Rosemary Oleoresin Extract
- 1 - 2 tablespoons Dry Flo – Make into a slurry with the jojoba Jojoba and and calendula oil
Sit the jug carefully into a jug of iced water to drop the temperature more quickly.
Take care, use pyrex and not glass, or you could have the jug shatter whent he hot glass is put into the icy bath.
This butter is nearly room temperature, and starting to get nice and creamy now, but there is a little more whipping needed yet.
- Weigh all ingredients and place all except the Jojoba, Dry Flo and Essential Oil and/or Fragrance into a 750ml - 1000ml Pyrex jug (or other microwavable jug)
- Melt in microwave on High or Medium High for 1 - 4 minutes - this depends on the power of the microwave. Only heat until the Cocoa Butter is completely melted
- In another jug mix the Jojoba and add the Dry Flo and carefully mix until you have a slurry type mixture with no lumps
- Pour this into the melted butters mixture and hand stir until well combined
- To cool the mixture more quickly, set up an ice bath and carefully sit the jug into this (this is why it's very important to use pyrex or microwave safe jugs)
- Now stir intermittently so that the mixture cools down. When you add the cool liquid oil you will see some clouding (setting) in the base of the jug
- Now add Fragrance or Essential Oils and stir well to combine
- I use a hand whisk or one electric beater (balloon type not stick blender) just to give a little lightness to the mixture and then pour into the containers
- Allow to set completely and then label and screw on the lid
Note: You can substitute Dri Silc for the Dry Flo if preferred.
If using "Add to Trolley" there are no containers and no fragrance included in the items.
|Palm Oil Free:||Yes|
|Time:||1 - 1 ½ hours|