Our Coconut and Wheatgerm Conditioner makes a thick, cream conditioner that is best used with a pump, upside down tube or tub, It is rich with dl Panthenol, and a smidge of Coconut Oil and Wheatgerm Oil for extra nourishment and shine.
This formula uses regular emulsion making technique. If you have never made a Lotion or Hair Conditioner before, you can see full instructions on lotion making here.
Citric Acid q.s. – to lower the pH for the preservation system
- 50g Conditioning Emulsifier 25 (5.0%)
- 15g Coconut Oil (1.5%)
- 15g Wheatgerm Oil (1.5%)
- 20g Silc Oliv or Dimethicone (2%)
- 30g Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein (or Hydroilyzed Oats) (3%)
- 10g/ml Pure Essential Oils or Fragrance of Choice (1% or q.s.)
- 10g/ml Preservative EPE (1.0%)
Equipment you'll need:
1 x Pyrex or microwave safe jug - must be 1200ml or larger
1 x small microwave safe jug
Scales, spatulas etc
Large ziplock bags - optional - used to pipe the hair conditioner into the bottles or tubes
Note: Ensure you can sanitise all equipment - especially the whisk - it's best practice to have dedicated lotion making equipment.
- Combine the Phase A ingredients in the large jug and heat in the microwave to 70 – 75°C - checking and stirring periodically.
- Combine the Phase B ingredients in the smal jug and heat in the microwave in short bursts to 70 – 75°C - checking and stirring each time.
- Now combine the two Phases with stirring. If using a stick blender use repetitive short bursts. Immediately you pour combine the Phases you will see the mixture become milky.
- This is the beginning of the emulsion forming.
- Continue to beat the mixture in short bursts during cool down, scraping down the sides of the jug.
- The mixture becomes quite glossy during cool down.
- When the mixture has cooled to 40°C or lower add Phase C ingredients.
- Mix well to combine and stir intermittently until the mixture has reached room temperature.
- I like to use a mid sized Zip Lock bag to fill my containers, as it's less messy and keeps everything clean. Cut the bottle corner off the bottom and pipe into the pump bottles pump bottle, Tottle or Malibu Tubes. If you like to have a thicker consistency, you will need to do this whilst it is still warm.
Label and seal bottles or tubes when completely cold.
- To see our recommended suggestions to scent surfactant and hair products, you can see them here
If using "add to trolley" there is no fragrance, essential oil or Citric Acid in the basket. You need to select your preferred style of packaging too. You need to purchase Distilled Water from the supermarket or hardware store.